Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Pluggin' Along

Last night I ended up having to have Anastasia go to bed (it was 8pm) for the night after I caught her in my room playing around with my nail polish with evidence that she had gone through other stuff. I had explained numerous times throughout the day that all she had to do was ask to go into other people's rooms and touch their stuff. I even went as far as to roll play how her sisters have to ask to wear her shorts or use her headband (not that they would). After she had a chance to put on her pajamas I went back in there to kiss her goodnight and she immediately popped up with her happy self ready to apologize. I told her thank-you but I reminded her of the many incidences she had had that day and told her tomorrow she can begin again.

At least she didn't pout or throw a fit-- she said okay--- as if relieved that I didn't have the look of wrath on my face. Makes me wonder what kind of discipline if any they had in the Internat.

This morning she was up early going through her clothes. Rachel said she had been going through them for nearly an hour. I didn't stop her. I think it is good for her to take inventory of her things. I didn't even have her change her red shirt, lime green and hot pink flower capris, and bright purple headband. She will learn to match soon enough.

First thing after getting dressed and fixing her bed (I only had to remind her two days) she asked me for confecta (candy). I looked at her strangely and told her that she had to eat breakfast first. She smiled, I smiled and then she proceeded to eat half a packet of banana oatmeal, one half of a waffle, and a bowl of Ukrainian Corn Flakes that I brought home. I thought it would be nice for her to see something familiar-- not the box of cereal because of course they wouldn't have such a luxury in the Internat but the writing on the box. She read it and smiled.

Afterwards, I asked her to help unload the dishwasher. As soon as she was done she must have run off to tell her brother because Paul was by my side next asking incessantly to help. My big boy helped me load the whole dishwasher!

Today things seem easier-- but we haven't left for Caleb's Orthodontist appointment yet. I am not sure how they will do with the hour long car ride and two hour wait while Caleb has his mold taken for his retainer.

Oh and I forgot to mention, Paul pet our kitten Bello yesterday and had his first swim lesson! Still won't go near the dogs.

17 comments:

Lisa said...

God is good!! She will learn, its a process. I am sure the affection was lacking at the internat. Look at how wonderful Dennis and Alex are doing thats a testimony.
Yeah for Paul and Bello, now on to the dogs. I am sure he will warm soon, it will just take a bit of time. I wonder if he was just told scary stories of dogs or was bit or knows someone who was bit? Praying for peace and a good car ride today.

Heather said...

It sounds like lots of progress is being made. How much of a language barrier is there? Do Anastasia and Paul understand much English? I was just wondering how you explain things to them at this point. Praying for you Christine and everyone!

Kelly said...

baby steps....

Julie said...

progress is progress! So glad things are starting to happen and they are adjusting.

Lucie said...

Anastasia sounds like she is starting to understand how a family works.
My son has had a retainer for a year after having his braces removed. I just got home from a follow up visit to the orthodontist. The whole appt. lasted about 3 minutes! It is so great to be at the end of the whole process. I spent many hours waiting at the orthodontist. Caleb must be excited to be at the beginning of the end!

Siyang E Phoyadx said...

Oh my goodness. She sounds like my son. Except, he's never rummaged through anyone one else's stuff. But, we are constantly butting heads. Today, his older brother wat tattling on him about his day at Bible school. I asked the younger boy to tell me about it. He refused. I threatened to take him back to the church and have the teacher tell me. Didn't faze him. I took them out for lunch at Taco Bell and told them to sit. He pretended to not be sitting (to be annoying). I ignored him. Later, he asked me how to draw hands. I started to show him, but he didn't like my technique. I was watching him draw, and he told me I could leave now. Etc. But, his previous life was harsh and cruel and discipline was harsh and cruel - so he may not know I'm disciplining him. So, yea, the journey goes on.

The Robins' Nest said...

I continue to be amazed by your strength!

I can't even imagine how difficult it must be for Anastasia and Paul with having their whole life change over night, but it sounds like you have already made good progress. Once Anastasia learns that she no longer has to fend for herself and that she is now a part of a family, and what that means to be a part of a family it will get easier.

Annie said...

For some reason when Sergei arrived with us, he went crazy going through drawers looking at everything. Since there were no peers at the time, we just let him, and he got over it. Fortunately, none of the others had that desire to look and try everything, no matter who it belongs to.

Going to bed at 8 sounds like luxury..... Funny.

Kathy Cassel said...

i am having problems with kayla going through the girl's and my stuff--getting into make up, cutting things with scissors etc. I make her sit on her bed and remind her she cannot get into other people's stuff and they won't get into hers.

Goodness and Mercy Mom said...

Christine, we had similar issues when our adopted son came home. Everything in his orphanage was shared--everything was community property--and when he came home he had to learn to be respectful of other's things and other's privacy. Those first weeks home are like "newborn" days. They can be so hard. Hang in there. You're doing great.

By the way, I hope it's okay but I mentioned you on my blog today. Your family is such an inspiration that I wanted others to "meet" you.

God Bless,
Kathie

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on Anastasia not touching other people's belongings but not on your condemnation of her taste in clothing. Has it occurred to you that clothes don't have to match? That choosing what she wears is one way that she can show her individuality and probably the only one where she has a choice? Seems to me that you might be expecting too much of children ripped from the only life they know (however poor you consider that to have been from your comfortable life in California) to conforming to your rules, your family. You were judgemental of the way the girls dressed in the Internat but it might just be you who is out of step.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't adopted. I came to the United States from Russia as an exchange student at the age of 16 and spoke very limited/broken English. Once my host family found me browsing through their pantry. They were shocked. I was sooooooooo embarassed but because of the language barrier I couldn't explain that I never so that much food in my life and all that colorful packages just fascinated me... I was just staring at all that food!

Marilyn said...

Great to read your story and you are such a sensible Mum. She will learn - she is just testing the boundaries at the moment. All kids will do that. And you are right - tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it - that is what Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables said and it is so true. I have so enjoyed following your journey.

Marilyn from Canada

Anonymous said...

Interesting how the comment about being out of step with the kids in the Internat and how Anastasia might just have her own fashion sense is ignored in favor of praise for the wonderful Reeds.

I'd say all of you Christians think yours is the only way to live, perhaps the children you adopt will go their own way when they are old enough to decide for themselves?

junglemama said...

I think todays world says dress provacatively. The more skin the better. This does not line up with my morals and it has nothing to do with pushing a "I'm an American Christian therefore I am better than thou" attitude. It has everything to do with teaching my children that they have so much more to offer without having to wear short shorts or sleeveless shirts. It has everything to do with being a voice to those who might not ever be told that showing too much skin might just actually encourage exactly what isn't good for them at that age or any age for that matter.

As for the coordinating colors-- I think kids expressing themselves through fun and wild colors is awesome-- just look at Caleb who is the king of fashon color, but I will also continue to teach them what coordination is along with the many other things I will teach my children through the course of their life. Would it be better that I let them dress like a clown and never say anything??

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine,
I have been following your blog for some time and would love some advice from you on agency's to use and how to go about things.I have 8 kids but want to do more.I would love to talk.I live in San Diego,CA.
Ella 760 743 6063
Congratulations on everything.

embroidered polo shirts said...

Christine, you shared a wonderful and best blog with us. I have been following your blog for some time and your advice from you on agency's to use and how to go about things is good.