Friday, July 9, 2010

A Way to a Child's Heart Is Through Their Stomach

Food is a big deal around here. Especially dinner. Anastasia and Paul are right by my side when I begin dinner preparations. They especially get excited when they see whatever meat I have gotten out to cook. Last night I got out about five pounds of ground beef to split in half-- spaghetti that night and tacos for tomorrow. Anastasia quickly grabbed a piece of the raw ground beef thinking it was ready to eat and was about to put it in her mouth until I stopped her. When I told her "after hot" as I put the meat in a frying pan and began to cook it on the stove, she understood. She helped me break up the "macaroni" and add it to the boiling water. Her and Paul were thrilled when they saw me cutting ears of corn in half. If I had any concerns about their appetites before-- I don't anymore. Both of them enjoy eating as much as we do.

The sweetest thing happened when I mixed up the spaghetti in a huge bowl and began to carry it over to the table. Anastasia ran over to me and gave me a big hug and said, "Spaciba!" If you ask me, I think that is when she realized that we can meet her and Paul's needs.
****************
Tonight we all enjoyed an after evening swim snack of popcorn and Pepsi. Anastasia and Paul love both! And it is so wonderful to see how all the kids are getting along.

John and I are especially touched by Anastasia's desire to help her younger brothers.

Paul and Anastasia enjoy ice-cream--- alot.


It is so nice to have two children that are not picky eaters. They have already tried shrimp cocktail, Chinese Chicken Salad, coleslaw, mashed potatoes and gravy, milk, yogurt, Otter Pops, cream cheese, salsa, burritos, pizza, roasted chicken, rice pilaf, and deli sandwiches. They love it all!

18 comments:

Keri said...

Christine, hearing about Anastasia and Paul's transition home is wonderful beyond words. It warms my heart and I wait to read your blog last each night, just before bed, so I can go to sleep with happy thoughts of their homecoming in my head! May God continue to bless all of you a hundredfold.

Cath said...

What a great post! I love hearing about how well they are doing! Congrats to you all once again!!!

Shari said...

I so love hearing about how well they are doing! It takes a very special family to bring so many orphans home and love them just like their own! A and P look so happy! Amazing!

Expat Mom said...

I can just imagine how great it is to see them eating. And for them, to realize that there is always going to be enough food . . . that has to be an amazing feeling for them.

Annie said...

I sometimes have a hard time judging how much food to make for my family of six (including parents) so as I stand at the stove I wonder how you manage that. There are nights that I "am on a diet" because if I take anything the kids won't get enough. I often think of you when I'm cooking for that reason.

As I made a full pan of borscht the other night I thought of you and wondered how you could do that. My dutch oven style pan was filled to the rim, and we ate it all! Do you have especially big pots, or do you use multiples? Do you have a stove with extra burners?
Do you ever get it wrong?

Rachel said...

So what does "spaciba" mean? I looked it up on google translate, but it didn't translate for me.

I'm so glad to hear how well they're doing. :)

Anonymous said...

My God, Anastasia is smiling all the time now. I'm so happy to see that. :))

:)De said...

Rachel: I wondered too so I googled it and found this with this spelling (Spasibo): "Спасибо is the most general expression for Thank you in Russian language.
Спасибо большое ( Spasibo bolshoe)- Thank you a lot/ Thanks so much.."

The McEacherns said...

That is a blessing that they'll eat (or at least try) new foods! One less issue to deal with. For me, it was sad and frustrating when Isabel would only eat yogurt, bananas and crackers. Thank God we've gotten past that point! It looks like A and P are blending in perfectly with the family. Blessings to you all!

Siyang E Phoyadx said...

Ah, food, the universal language. How did you say that? The way to a child's heart is through his or her stomach? Indeed. I remember taking my adopted son out to every restaurant in town. And, I remember before adoption that my biological son asked the very important question, "What if he doesn't like Pizza?" How are the other kids doing with the changes? Everybody good?

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

HAHA I just wrote about the picky eater thing! I couldnt handle it!
Im so glad they are fitting into the Reed bunch so well... and have no doubts that they are cared for and loved. I love following your story.

Rachel said...

Thank you, :)De.

Sarah said...

Sooooo happy for you Christine! You are doing a great job! They look so happy!

Anonymous said...

Two more beautiful children placed by God in their loving family! God is good!

Annie said...

One of our four adopted children does NOT like pizza - he DETESTS it; that has thrown a wrench into the monkey works. I think he senses that food = nurturing, so when I make pizza he is hurt and as he's my most needy - we don't have pizza much any more. Very unfortunate.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. It helps a lot of people I am sure.

I have a question though. You said you split 5lbs of hamburger meat for Spaghetti one night and tacos the next. How is the world do you feed all your family with 2 1/2lbs of meat for one taco meal for 3-4 of us. Heck I use that much for just 3-4 of us. Your family must be very light eaters.

Carol

roulette tips said...

I sure kids enjoyed too much. All kids are very much happy and they like your yummy dishes. Christine, is very much happy.

first aid kits at work said...

So cute smile of Christine. I really impressed with her smile. It is best time to enjoying a party. I am very happy to hear that two more beautiful children placed by God in your loving family.